Outsourcing to China, specifically its manufacturing sector has been recently blamed for the worsening air quality in some parts of the US. Should this type of unintended consequence cause alarm for call centers in the Philippines?
Unlike production outsourcing, call center operations don’t involve massive chemical use and smoke emissions, but this doesn’t excuse Philippine contact centers from their environmental responsibilities. Outsourcing firms must have Earth-friendly initiatives to contribute to the preservation of nature. The materials used in office equipment, the daily activities of employees, and the long-term goals of the company should be aligned with environmental protection plans to earn the respect of the industry, clients, and the government.
Earth-friendly office materials
Choosing the right office furniture has a great impact on the conservation of nature. You may think that the only environmental damage that your office furniture can be blamed for is that they consume natural resources in the assembly process. The truth is that they can also emit toxic chemicals as they are being manufactured and even after they are disposed.
So the next time you scout for office equipment, choose those that were manufactured by eco-conscious brands and made with sustainable, environmentally-friendly materials that are certified by trusted authorities like the Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association (BIFMA).
Earth-friendly everyday activities
For a business that largely relies on technology, it is the responsibility of every call center in the Philippines to use electricity and materials wisely, as energy consumption contributes to greenhouse gas emissions. Here are energy saving tips for you and your staff:
• Turn off your computer monitor if you will be away for more than 30 minutes.
• Don t just put equipment in sleep mode; turn off all office appliances after working hours and especially on weekends.
• Use timers on electronics to automatically switch them off at a designated time
• Establish a paperless office, but if you can’t avoid it discourage unnecessary printing, and encourage double-sided printing to save not just energy but also on paper.
• Photocopy in batches so that the photocopier won’t have to be used countless times a day.
Earth-friendly company-wide solutions
Your company can benefit from long-term solutions such as these:
• Invest in energy-efficient computers with LCD screens because they use about half the amount of energy as a CRT monitor.
• Comply with Energy Star standards. Only purchase office equipment that are Energy Star compliant because they reduce the amount of energy used by being switched off or put into sleep mode automatically when not in use.
• Invest in solar, wind or other renewable energy sources.
The benefits of going green
Using Earth-friendly equipment and practicing resource-saving techniques will not only save your company money but will also promote good health.
Office equipment accounts for about 18% of a small company’s overall energy bill, so lessening the use of electronics could significantly lower your utility costs and more importantly, lower the amount of greenhouse gas emissions in your area of operations.